As part of the Jubilee once again, we will host an IBCA Sanctioned BBQ Cook-Off on Saturday, April 19. Pitmasters can compete in pit division categories of Brisket, Pork Spareribs, and Chicken. There will be Jackpots for Beans, Cobbler and a Local Calcutta.
- Pit Division (must enter brisket and can also enter chicken and pork spareribs): $125
- Pinto Beans: $20
- Cobbler: $10
- Local Calcutta**: $50
*Jackpot payouts will be based upon the number of entries. Cobbler and Beans will pay 1st through 3rd place. Local Calcutta participants must place in the top 10 of one of the meat categories to receive a payout. No more than three places per meat category for Local Calcutta will be paid.
**The Head Cook for Local Calcutta must prove residence in Terrell (75160 or 75161 zip codes) by presenting a valid state-issued ID and the Head Cook must be present throughout the competition.
|Wednesday, April 15||2:00 PM||Check-in Begins|
|Friday, April 17||7:00 PM||Cooks Meeting|
|Saturday, April 18||8:15 AM||Breakfast Served to Cooks and Team Members|
Turn-In Times on Saturday, April 18
|Pinto Beans||11:00 AM|
|Pork Spareribs||1:30 PM|
Awards will be given at approximately 5:00 PM on 4/18/2020 for:
- 1-10 places in each pit division category
- 1-3 places in cobbler and beans
- Local Calcutta (must place in top ten in pit division; no more than three places per meat category will be paid)
- Best/Most Unusual Pit
- Grand Champion Overall Winner
Grand Champion will be invited to the American Royal Invitational, Kansas City, MO and into the Lottery Drawing for the Jack Daniels Invitational in Lynchburg, TN.
Prize Money for Pit Division is $10,000. Jackpots will be split.
- Due to increased participation in the cook-off and limited parking it is necessary to limit the number of vehicles in the cooking area. No vehicles will be allowed in cooking area other than motor homes. Anyone camping in BBQ area must be entered in the cook off. Parking permits issued at check in must be displayed on all campers or motor homes, vehicles must be removed once campers are in place in camping area. Parking is available at baseball / softball fields, and near the Pavilion. This will be STRICTLY enforced.
- NOTE: Only one (1) entry per pit.
- Teams will consist of a Head Cook and up to 4 team members. For the Local Calcutta, the Head Cook must prove residence in Terrell (75160 or 75161 zip codes) by presenting a valid state-issued ID and the Head Cook must be present throughout the competition. Checks for any awards earned in the Local Calcutta will be made out to the Head Cook.
- All meats to be entered into judging will be cooked from scratch within the constraints of the event. Pre-cooking, marinating, etc., will not be allowed prior to start of the cook-off as defined by cook-off producer.
- Fires must be wood or charcoal. Pit may include gas or electricity to start natural substance, but not to complete cooking. Holes or open pits are not permitted. Fires may not be built on the ground.
- Props, trailers, motor home vehicles, tents, and other equipment may not exceed the boundary of the contestant’s assigned space.
- Cook’s meeting will be held Friday evening at 7:00 p.m. in the judging area. Head cooks must attend and payment must be received by the time the meeting begins. Breakfast will be provided for head cooks and team members Saturday morning @ 8:15 a.m.
- 2 Fully Jointed Chicken Halves—fully jointed split chicken (with breast, wing with tip visible not tucked under thigh, and drumstick)
- Pork Spareribs (no baby backs or country style) 9 individual ribs (bone in)
- Brisket—9 full width slices (approx. 1/4” to 3/8” thick)
- Based on the number of cooks turn in quantities are subject to change.
- No garnish or sauce is allowed in the tray at turn-in. You may cook with sauce, but it cannot be ladled onto the meat at turn-in.
- It is the responsibility of the contestant to see that the contest area is kept clean and that the area is cleaned and policed following the contest. All fires must be put out, concrete blocks and other building materials or props hauled away and all equipment removed from the site. Do not empty live coals in the dumpsters or on the ground.
- IBCA judging rules will apply.
- Promoter and cook-off officials will not be held responsible for accidents, theft, or any mishaps.
- No skateboards, skates, in-line skates, bicycles, ATVs, 4-wheelers, golf carts, or go-carts allowed.
- Quiet time will be 11pm Friday evening until 6am Saturday morning. Quiet time will be strictly enforced.
- No vendor sales allowed in the BBQ area.
- Jackpot payouts will be based upon the number of entries. Cobbler and Beans will pay 1st-3rd Place. Local Calcutta participants must place in the top 10 of one of the meat categories to receive a payout. No more than three places per meat category for Local Calcutta will be paid.